C2 Evolution From the Past to Tomorrow — Xavier Mertens

Join us at hack.lu 2026 — Info & Registration

Duration: 30 min

Type: Talk

Speakers: Xavier Mertens

Abstract

Since malware evolved with time, they established communications with a server to work smoothly. Most of them always used the gold old “client/server” model. Before diving into the malware ecosystem, I’ll explain why threat actors just reused communications channels that we have for thousands of years. Their goal remains the same except that, today, bits and bytes are used.
That’s the basics of a botnet where we have “bots” waiting for commands from their master. I’ll provide a recap of the C2 protocols from the past to today and… tomorrow? To show you common tactics used by attackers to interact with the infected computers.

Description

The talk is divided in two parts. First, I’ll recap what are communications from animals to humans and how they are used. Then, the same will be applied to the malware ecosystem.

View on pretalx